Friday 25 February 2011

Allergy girl part 3

'Ha marny farny sarny harny marny day, harna say izza Lizzy' came the beautiful,slightly African tribal sounding, tunefully accurate voice of my older sister Mary before she stared at me with an expression of comical confusion whilst simultaneously making a flat monotonous 'aaaaaaaa' noise and vanishing into her bedroom.

When I was being born and my mother was in labour my mother's brother Damon baby sat Mary whilst my dad was with her. She came to visit with Uncle Damon after i'd made an appearance and as she'd gotten a little agitated waiting in the waiting room Damon had leant her his Walkman. Damon was a geeky rocker who accorrding to my mum never quite got the look right. But he was amazing with Mary and had a uncanny way of calming her down like no other could,like some kind of,dare I say it,Retard Whisperer.
When my sister was brought in to see me she was listening to whatever radio station Damon had it tuned into and somehow catalogued in her somewhat unusual brain the song that was playing at the precise moment she saw me. How,you may think,do I know what song was playing? Well Mary had found the volume dial and turned it way up to eleven,thank you Tap fans,and Damon heard the strains of a favourite ditty of his followed by Mary shrieking at the top of her voice, 'Phroar, Uncle Damon, have you farted?'
Whether or not Uncle Damon had indeed committed an act of flatulence upon seeing me,his niece,for the first time is one of our family's mysteries,however the song that became Mary's self-penned masterpiece, 'The Lizzy Song' was not a mystery.
I happened upon the track when digging through my Uncle Damon's cds after he died when my mum and I went through his stuff. 'Since You've Been Gone' by the band Rainbow is the song that Mary made her own and if you too sing the above lyrics along to the chorus you'll see it fits perfectly.

But hey this story is about ME,not Uncle Damon, although he can be part of this if you want. Back to where I was before I sidetracked...

No comments:

Post a Comment